Re: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...

From: Marc-Christian Petersen (m.c.p@wolk-project.de)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 15:59:58 EST

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 22:45, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

Hi Andrea,

> > I try to backport BIO and then AS for quite over 2 weeks now, but it
> > seems, at least for me, that it's an impossible mission ;(
> bio breaks all drivers, not a good idea to backport ;)
HAHAHAH. Another wasted 2 weeks in my life ;-)

But why does it brake all drivers? Could you please elaborate a bit?

> note that the anticipatory scheduler generates very bad results with the
> winmark. it certainly has merits but it has large downsides too.
hmm, I am not aware of it, or even I _was_ not aware of it till now.

> I would be also curious if you could compare anticipatory with CFQ. The
> CFQ was designed to provide the highest possible degree of fariness.
I'll can bench it, sure. I used CFQ before I switched to AS because I was
curious about AS and as I didn't see a real difference in latency but AS gave
me more throughput, I use AS from now on.

> I read it on l-k yesterday a few days ago, search emails from Linus with
> Jens somewhere in CC and you should find it.
Already found it :) thank you.

ciao, Marc