Re: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...

From: manish (manish@storadinc.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 15:57:23 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:42:32PM -0700, manish wrote:

Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 22:20, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

Hi Andrea,

1. Stock 2.4.20
2. 2.4.20 with the io_request_lock removed.
The tests on the first one are still going. The tests on the second one
showed processes getting stuck for long times (> 5 minutes) and not
paused ...

sorry if it's a dumb question but what is the "io_request_lock removed"
thing? Hope you didn't delete any io_request_lock, if you did you can
get worse things than crashes (i.e. mm/fs corruption). the pausing bug
was a genuine race (quite innocent, if you could trigger a disk unplug
you could recover from it)

Andrea

funny. I asked him the same ;)

see his response:

what is this io_request_lock patch you are talking about?

ciao, Marc

We made some changes to the 2.4.20 kernel to remove the io_request_lock and replace with queue_lock and host_lock.

ciao, Marc

We made a change in the 2.4.20 kernel to remove the io_request_lock and replace with the host_lock and the queue_lock. Probably, not a right thing to do

right you are, but never mind, only remeber e2fsck the fs before
booting the box so you don't risk fs corruption later with the solid
kernels.

Andrea

So, does it imply that we cannot remove the io_request_lock in 2.4 at all?

Thanks
Manish