Re: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...

From: Matthias Mueller (matthias.mueller@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 13:22:02 EST

Hi,

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:47:24PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:
> > > A "pause" is perfectly fine (to some extent, of course), now a hang is
> > > not. Is this backtrace from a hanged, unusable kernel or ?
> > A pause is _not_ perfectly fine, even not to some extent. That pause we are
> > discussing about is a pause of the _whole_ machine, not just disk i/o pauses.
> > Mouse stops, keyboard stops, everything stops, who knows wtf.
>
> Do you also notice them?

Since 2.4.19 I notice a lot of pauses with interactive work (desktop
usage). If i copy a big file over network or on local disk, some of my
desktop machines simply don't respond anymore to user requests (e.g. I
start copying a large file over nfs to local disk and start mozilla,
mozilla won't start until the copy is finished).
My current testcase is: dd if=/dev/zero of=blubber bs=4096 count=65000 and
moving the mouse during this operation. With 2.4.18 everything is ok, the
mouse runs smooth the whole time. 2.4.19 and later: I get mouse hangs, it
won't move for a second, sometimes longer. wolk reduces this problem, but
doesn't solve it.
On my servers (mostly IBM xseries 345 and 335) it's ok with a
vanilla-kernel, but there is no interactive work, mostly routing or
network monitoring.
I hope, I can run a vanilla 2.4 kernel again on my machines, at the moment
that isn't possible.

Bye,
Matthias
--