Re: Linux 2.5.70 compile error

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 13:03:17 EST

"William" == William Lee Irwin <wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
William> CONFIG_NR_CPUS should appear under the processor type and
William> features menu.

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:50:37PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> I must not have been clear enough in my rant, so let me rephrase it.
> Because I had already configured NR_CPUS=2, I'm not sure that I should
> have even gotten the choice of X86_BIGSMP at all, since it's obviously
> not valid in this case.
> I'm really asking for the configuration specifications and
> dependencies to be cleaned up, and maybe I'll try to do it myself and
> send in the patch. Right now I'm going to be trying 2.5.70-mm1 with a
> patch for my ISA Cyclades board first.

They're meant to specify system types, in particular APIC configurations.

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:50:37PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> So the real thrust of my posts before was:
> The language and description used when running 'make oldconfig' and
> trying to set the "X86_GENERICARCH" option is ugly and hard to
> understand and doesn't match how it's shown in the 'make menuconfig'
> settings.
> Sure, I realize that oldconfig is more a helper than a real
> interface, but it still has warts that I'd like to fix or have
> someone else fix if I can't do it myself.
> Maybe the entire issue is really how do you do specify and constrain
> inputs properly in this setup?

No idea. Ask Roman Zippel.

My expectation is that we aren't going to make kernel configuration
safe for Aunt Tillie anytime in the near future.

-- wli