Re: Aix7xxx unstable in 2.4.21-rc2? (RE: Linux 2.4.21-rc2)

From: Marcelo Tosatti (marcelo@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 16:41:31 EST

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:42:42PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > Splitting up the work with someone is senseless, IMO. As I said before,
> > 2.4.22-pre should be better in that aspect. In case it doesnt, I'm giving
> > up 2.4.x maintenance.
>
> Marcelo,
>
> Reading your words, I have the sad feeling that you take no interest in doing
> this job, and that you do it only because people ask you to. What a shame :-(
>
> Although it sure can be annoying, aren't you proud of each new release ?
> Usually, kernel integrators are proud of their new kernels when they get
> something rock solid ! People like Con Kolivas, J.A.Magallon, Marc-Christian
> Pettersen are often proud to announce us the few bits they changed in their
> tree and which stabilized it. It seems you only do this as an obligation,
> which is sad, really.

What I said is that if people think I'm not maintaining 2.4.x (quoting
Davem, "I really think 2.4.x development is becoming almost non-existent
lately.) in a acceptable way, the work should be done by someone else. I
WANT to keep maintaining 2.4, but only if people are happy with that. Do
you understand ?

> I understand that maintaining the stable tree, the one which MUST NOT FAIL,
> may be frustrating, not being as excitant as playing with kernels which try
> to get the most of every piece of hardware, as others do (although nobody
> prevents you from developing your own Wolk). But you don't seem to share much
> about your feelings, ideas or doubts with others. Alan, for example, exchanges
> a lot with people testing his kernels, suggesting a few tweaks to help them
> workaround their problems, and integrating the tweak in the next release if it
> succeeds. This fast feedback allows him to release more often. It also makes
> his work more intersting for others.

> People often prefer "here is -rcxx-acxx, which my EPIA now fully
> supports" to "here is -rcxx, please test it extensively".

I dont understand what you mean.