Re: [RFC] [2.5 patch] Change strlcpy and strlcat

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 12:33:42 EST

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Your API is compatible with *BSD but I'm wondering whether something
> slightly different might make error handling for callers easier:

Well, judging by the fact that pretty much 99.9% of all users won't ever
care about the return value. And coupled with the fact that the current
behaviour is compatible with BSD (except for the BUG_ON() that I added,
and I have no idea what BSD does for that case, since it pretty clearly
_is_ a bug), I definitely prefer having standard return values than trying
to make it "easier".

The BSD return values do actually make sense for nested operations.

Linus