Re: [RFC] Fix NMI watchdog documentation

From: Disconnect (lkml@sigkill.net)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 00:35:53 EST

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 22:36, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2003 12:50:28 +0200, mikpe@xxxxxxxxx said:
>
> > The blacklist rule is a catch-all since we don't have detailed DMI
> > data on all Inspiron/Latitude models, and at the time, _all_ of them
> > were broken. Looking through my records, Inspiron 8000 and 8100, and
> > Latitude C600, C610, C640, C800, and C810 are known to be broken. Note
> > that this includes at least one P4-based machine (C640), so it's not
> > restricted to "old" mobile P3s.
>
> OK, I put together a kernel that had the Latitude blacklist commented out,
> and it comes up with:
>
> No local APIC present or hardware disabled
> Initializing CPU#0
>
> So add the Latitude C840 to the "known b0rken" list.

Ditto the Inspiron 8500 - no apic at all (which is different from
known-broken, since nothing bad happened.)

For cleanliness sake it would be nice to have specific model info in the
blacklist ("your hardware doesn't have a frobber" is nicer than "the
frobber on your hardware causes your pets to catch fire"), but since the
hardware doesn't exist anyway the end result is the same. (And the code
is a lot more readable.)

Perhaps just a comment above those entries:
/* Latitude C840 and Inspiron 8500 have no APIC support in hardware */

Eventually it might even turn into a proper whitelist/blacklist
collection.

--
Disconnect <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx>