Re: 2.5.69-mm9

From: Alistair J Strachan (alistair@devzero.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 15:38:52 EST

On Sunday 25 May 2003 21:15, you wrote:

> Changing fstab will not cause / to be mounted by ext2: the kernel makes the
> decision for /. You may be able to use "rootfstype=" (I don't think I've
> ever tried it).
>
> The proper way to convert to ext2 is:
>
> - boot with init=/bin/sh
>
> - /sbin/tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda1
>
> - /sbin/e2fsck -fy /dev/hda1
>
> - reboot, edit /etc/fstab for the non-root filesystems.

Thanks for this info. I just removed the journal and now have / mounted
permanently as ext2. -mm9 got to login without a problem. I deliberately kept
my /home volume as ext3 but commented it out in /etc/fstab.

I logged in as root and did:

mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /home

This also worked fine, I could read all the files on the volume. However, when
I did:

touch /home/tmp
sync

The kernel barfed out the attached junk and the file was never committed. The
volume was not corrupted as I was able to reboot with -mm6 and all is fine.
tmp does not exist on the volume.

Presumably this is of more help to you. Since / is now ext2, I'm unencumbered
and so will be able to test anything you like.

Cheers,
Alistair.