Re: Asrock K7S8X Motherboard kernel problem

From: David R. Wilson (david@wwns.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 12:50:03 EST

Thanks Mikael and Vojtech,

I tried both bootloaders (LILO and Grub) and still can't seem to get the
floppy controller detected with 2.4.21-rc3.

I tried the latest stock RedHat kernel (2.4.20-13.9) and it seems to work.
It sounds like Alan might have fixed something and hasn't told us what it
was yet :-). The RedHat kernel says:

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

With 2.4.21-rc3 I get:
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
floppy0: no floppy controllers found

One other interesting bit that shows up in the RedHat dmesg is:

SiS pirq: advanced IDE/ACPI/DAQ mapping not yet implemented
advanced SiS pirq mapping not yet implemented

The motherboard has the SiS746 chipset along with the 963 southbridge.
I apparently copied an old dump (by hand) of the problem. The patch
by Vojtech Pavlik for the SIS southbridge detects the 963 without
a problem. I also added the Bios Enhanced Disk Device Service 3.0 patch
(CONFIG_EDD) to the source.

http://domsch.com/linux/edd30/

I still get "no floppy controllers found"

I am open to suggestions....

Thanks,
Dave

mikpe@xxxxxxxxx wrote...