Re: 2.5.69-mm9

From: Alistair J Strachan (alistair@devzero.co.uk)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 10:22:53 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.5/2.5.69/2.5.69-mm9/

> . 2.5.69-mm9 is not for the timid. It includes extensive changes to the
> ext3 filesystem and the JBD layer. It withstood an hour of testing on
> my 4-way, but it probably has a couple of holes still.
>
> The locking has been finegrained and sleeping locks have been removed -
> there are now no instances of lock_kernel(), lock_journal() or
> sleep_on()
> in JBD or ext3. ext3 is much quicker on SMP machines.

Hi,

These changes don't even get to login for me. I changed the mm9 command line
to include init=/bin/sh and got to a prompt. I was able to reproduce an
enormous number of oopses by issuing:

mount -o remount,rw /

I tried to log it with klogd pointed to a different partition (vfat) but the
problem segfaults klogd before it commits anything to disc. I'll probably try
to do it via serial console this evening if nobody else can reproduce this.

Another oddity is that changing my / partition to ext2 in /etc/fstab and
booting normally (i.e., without init=) doesn't make any difference. If these
changes are ext3/jbd only, why is my ext3 volume mounted as ext2 still not
mounting rw?

FWIW, all of my disc's partitions are ext3.

Cheers,
Alistair.