Re: [2.5.69] rtnl-deadlock with usermodehelper and keventd

From: Martin Diehl (lists@mdiehl.de)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 18:25:20 EST

On Fri, 23 May 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

> But nope, unfortunately it's still hanging! I've just tested with
> 2.5.69-bk15. Running into the same deadlock due to sleeping with rtnl
> hold. This time however it seems it's triggered from sysfs side!
>
> Stephen, you need to do the device class stuff outside of the RTNL
> lock please.
>
> At least I didn't add this bug :-)
>
> This should fix it.

Well, back online now pretty late ;-)

Yes, as was already reported I can also confirm from testing the deadlock
is gone now. Thanks for resolving this issue!

Just a minor question before the thread gets closed: Don't we have the
same problem in the register path? register_netdevice is running unter
rtnl and calls netdev_register_sysfs. I've never seen a deadlock there,
but I'd expect this to sleep for hotplug usermode completion as well.
Maybe this is just what you meant by your comment above ;-)

Martin