Re: Tigon3 auto-negotiation and force media

From: walt (wa1ter@myrealbox.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 17:10:52 EST

Kari Kallioinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with broadcomm 5700 based card.
> It's autonegotiating a wrong media and I can't change the parameters of another
> end of link. So how I can force specified media technology with tg3-driver?
> Mii-tool doesn't seem to work and I didn't find any option for tg3-module.

I have the same chip on my motherboard and I have found that doing an
'ifconfig down' followed by 'ifconfig up' will make the chip work.
(You may need to restore the default route after doing the above.
Or, if you have an appropriate initscript in /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d
you can just use it to restart the network -- same idea but less trouble.)

BTW, how do can you tell that the media choice is wrong? 'ifconfig' doesn't
give me that information.