Dead machine, blinking Keyboard and no Oops on console

From: jpo234@netscape.net
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 14:11:03 EST

Hi List,
the Subject basically describes what I see. This is (yeah, I know)
a SuSE kernel with a small local hack. I don't expect that anybody
will debug this for me, but maybe some clues what could cause this
would be most welcome.

Specifics (just in case this rings a bell):
Kernel is a local build from the SuSE kernel-source-2.4.19.SuSE-175.i586.rpm RPM (e.g. the current one),
my local patch adds socket specific statistics (e.g. packet count,
retransmits, out-of-order packets,...).

Observation:
No Oops, no panic, just a sudden freeze with the blinking keyboard
lights.

Thanks in advance
  Jörg