Re: [patch?] truncate and timestamps

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 13:02:00 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote on 22.05.03 in <Pine.LNX.4.44.0305221726300.19226-100000@home.transmeta.com>:

> On Fri, 23 May 2003 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand, my question was really a different one:
> > do we want to follow POSIX, also in the silly requirement
> > that truncate only sets mtime when the size changes, while
> > O_TRUNC and ftruncate always set mtime.
>
> Does POSIX really say that? What a crock.

That's why POSIX says no such thing.

What it *does* say is

  Upon successful completion, if fildes refers to a regular file, the
  ftruncate() function shall mark for update the st_ctime and st_mtime
  fields of the file and the S_ISUID and S_ISGID bits of the file mode may
  be cleared. If the ftruncate() function is unsuccessful, the file is
  unaffected.

See:

   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/ftruncate.html

Is it really so hard to look it up that we need to spout FUD instead?

MfG Kai