Re: Error during compile of 2.5.69-mm8

From: Thomas Schlichter (schlicht@uni-mannheim.de)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 20:06:45 EST

On May 23, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Thomas Schlichter <schlicht@uni-mannheim.de>
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 02:13:34 +0200
>
> > Therefore, it was a complete error for anyone else to start using this
> > macro for other structures.
>
> So nobody should better use THIS_MODULE?!
>
> No, it is exactly what they should use.
>
> They should avoid using SET_MODULE_OWNER.

This is clear to me, of course, it should have been just a very extreme
example...

> For ME and many other driver developers SET_MODULE_OWNER does not belong
> to netdevice, it belongs to the module infrastructure!
>
> Then by changing SET_MODULE_OWNER you will break source backwards
> compatability for every single network device driver out there,
> something I was explicitly trying to avoid.

OK, now I see clearer...
What you did broke everything but netdevices and what I did broke nothing but
netdevices... So I attached a very small patch that will help braking
nothing... ;-)

> SET_MODULE_OWNER() is a bogus interface because it is typeless.
>
> Therefore I suggest that you create macros specific to your individual
> structures, and use these to achieve 2.4.x/2.5.x build compatability
> in setting the ->owner field of such structs.

That is a good idea, but how should we get rid off this when it is used over
and over??

Best regards
   Thomas Schlichter