2.5.66 kernel panic: fs/xfs/pagebuf/page_buf..c

From: Andreas Heilwagen (andreas.heilwagen@jamba.net)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 05:15:34 EST

Hi,

I am in the unfortunate position to run a production server with 2.5.66
since the SuperMicro CSE-742S-500 has no suitable APIC support in the
2.4.x series. Why I do not run 2.5.69? The machine panics twice a day.

2.5.66 dies once a day with "kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt
handler" in fs/xfs/pagebuf/page_buf.c:1287. The reason is an "invalid
operand:0000 #5" on CPU:0 with "EIP:0060:[<c024f059>] Not tainted". In
my case slapd from the OpenLDAP package caused the crash.

I have an 39320 Dual U320 SCSI controller in the machine with a Overland
PowerLoader LTO-1 (17 slots) and a Infortrend IFT 6300-12 IDE-Raid with
one 700G XFS volume configured.

Currently I am not able to backup the machine using Arkeia 5.1.7 without
running one backup process on the local machine in a long-term disk
sleep or getting a panic.

I'd like to get in touch with an person actively working on the XFS or
APIC stuff to discuss how I can contribute to stabilize the APIC code
for the Supermicro board and how to analyze/fix the XFS problem. I dot
not want to file Bugzilla entries at this time before I cannot be sure
that I missed an obvious solution.

Looking forward,

Andreas Heilwagen