Problem with routing in the IPv6 stack

From: Frank Victor Fischer (celestar@t-online.de)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 17:24:24 EST

Hello out there,

I have encountered the following error message when trying to set up a
new entry in the IPv6 routing table with the command "ip -6 route add":

RTNETLINK answers: Cannot allocate memory

This has happened after I have had a working IPv6 configuration for
several days, and the error message is independent from the interface on
which I am trying to establish the route on.

No information at all has been recorded in the system logs by the
kernel, however I have straced the command which did not reveal any
useful information either. I backed up the results of the strace as well
as the /proc/net/ and /proc/sys/net/ trees, along with the ifconfig.

This occured the following platform:
AMD Duron 800 with 256 MB 133 MHz SDR-SDRAM
vanilla linux kernel 2.4.20 patches with XFS 1.2 and IPsec 1.98b.

I am not subscribed to the list so it would be most helpful if you
included me in the CC: list.

Thanks in advance,
Victor (celestar@t-online.de)