wacky hangs on 2.5.69-mm7, -mm3

From: Cliff White (cliffw@osdl.org)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 11:07:33 EST

Andrew,
we are running a few tests on 2.5.69, -mm7, and -mm3 and having
some wacky hangs.

Booted both kernels with default IO scheduler.

The Reaim test running against -mm7 (AIM rewrite) hangs, with a large number
of 'sync' commands that never complete and are unkillable. (Various tests call
'sync') System is a 4-CPU PIII , two of the CPU's are stuck at 100% iowait.
Filesystem is ext2. Same kernel run with elevator=deadline ran okay. -mm6 ran
okay, but
was not especially performant. (separate mail)

The -mm3 kernel is running DBT2 on a 8-CPU machine, with raw devices. Ten
minutes
into the run, all IO ceases, iostat shows devices 133% busy, workload stops.
'ps -aef' never completes. Previous run with elevator=noop was fine.

We've left the 8-way as is if you want a look.
cliffw
maryedie
OSDL