Re: NFS problems with Linux-2.4

From: Jim Nance (jlnance@us54.synopsys.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 15:02:07 EST

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 05:00:24PM +0200, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Sorry. stat doesn't obey close-to-open. It relies on standard
> attribute caching. close-to-open means "open()" (and only "open()")
> checks data cache consistency...

Hi Trond,
    I rewrote my test program so that it uses open() instead of stat().
I also changed it so that it does not rename the file after it writing
it. This should only leave close, open, and unlink calls. The program
still fails for me after running for a minute or so:

  cayman> ./p1 s
  Failed to find #0 which client wrote
  Failed on file number 10202

Again, this is with 2.4.20 kernel. It fails much faster with a 2.4.7.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Nance                                                           Synopsys
(919) 425-7219  Do you have sweet iced tea?        jlnance@us54.synopsys.com
                No, but there's sugar on the table.