Re: [patch] sched-cleanup-2.5.69-A0

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 11:09:23 EST

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> > the attached scheduler cleanup (against BK-curr) removes the unused
> > requeueing code. Compiles & boots.
>
> Ah, what a sweet way of getting rid of my nemesis :-)
>
> The requeuing code troubled me quite a bit with umlsim, which makes all
> kinds of calls from the idle task, including calls to try_to_wake_up, or
> functions that eventually call it. Naturally, whenever the requeuing was
> used, it tripped over current->array. (And even with a fake array, it
> would have had ill effects.)
>
> So the requeuing didn't do anything for processes other than the idle
> task ?

hm, it should in fact have been dead code from 2.5.68 on and upwards.
Before that it was called quite often.

but doing stuff out of the idle thread is not nice i think, there's a fair
amount of code that does not work out of the idle task. Any reason you
dont start some really-low-prio thread instead? (i could suggest
SCHED_BATCH but the scheduler doesnt have it :-)

        Ingo