Re: [patch] futex API cleanups, futex-api-cleanup-2.5.69-A2

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 09:47:17 EST

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:33:01PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> - start the phasing out of FUTEX_FD. This i believe is quite unclean and
> unrobust, because it attaches a new concept (futexes) to a very old
> (polling) concept. We want futex support in kernel-AIO, not in the
> polling APIs. AFAIK only NGPT uses FUTEX_FD.

I for one would want the ability to select, poll and epoll on a futex while
also being notified of availability of data on sockets. I see no alternative
even, except for messing with signals or running select with a small
timeout, introducing needless latency.

It may be weird, but it does work in practice. 'Unrobust' would be a problem
but I fail to see how this is unclean.

Thanks.