Re: NFS problems with Linux-2.4

From: Jim Nance (jlnance@us54.synopsys.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 10:22:31 EST

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:19:23PM +0200, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Could you please try with a newer kernel. The close-to-open cache
> consistency fixes are a relatively recent addition to the Linux NFS
> client. I dunno if RedHat's 2.4.18 kernel has them.
>
> 2.4.7 certainly does not.

I tried again with the 2.4.20 based kernel that Red Hat released
yesterday (2.4.20-13.7bigmem). The problem that I was seeing occurs
less frequently there, but it still happens.

I have attached a program which can reproduce this. If you run it
under 2.4.7 it fails instantly. If you use 2.4.20 it may take a
minute or so but it will also fail.

Thanks,

Jim

PS: Do you know if there is any way to work around this problem from
    within my program?

Jim Nance                                                           Synopsys
(919) 425-7219  Do you have sweet iced tea?        jlnance at synopsys.com
                No, but there's sugar on the table.