Re: [OT] Two RAID1 mirrors are faster than three

From: Anders Karlsson (anders@trudheim.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 04:30:25 EST

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 09:40, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> [db raid1 with 3 discs]
>
> that sounds like a super special featuer never needed in Software (!!)
> Raid thing (IMvHO).

I think it depends greatly on your needs. For small companies running
commercial unices, this might be the best solution based upon need and
cost. For even smaller outfits running Linux, the snapshot feature in
Linux LVM will do the job.

For large operations where money is not really the issue, a SAN with
some SAN Volume Controllers is probably the answer.

Then there is the issue of people that are just simple ultra-paranoid
about their data or where the 2nd copy is in fact off-site (using SCSI
extenders).

> I can only image a Hotspare Disc, thats all.

In the tradition of Unix, there are more than one way to skin a cat. ;-)

/Anders