Re: don't use cheap switches under some scenarios

From: Chuck Ebbert (76306.1226@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 22:50:07 EST

Xinwen Fu wrote:

> The switching table is
> messed up by the intense traffic, we believe. Other cheaper switches
> (netgear fast esthernet switch FS108 ) have the same problem.

  What do you mean by "intense traffic?" Many switches will get
confused if you fill their tables with a large number of different
addresses. Is someone maybe spoofing MAC addresses on your net?
Or is the switch plugged into a larger switched network where it will
see many different MAC addresses on the uplink port?

  Also, almost every switch will flood all ports with traffic for
machines that have disappeared recently (disconnected or changed
their MAC addresses.) High-end switches have settings to control
this problem but it's impossible to avoid some leakage.

  Never count on an ethernet switch to provide privacy for traffic
on a single VLAN.