Re: top stack (l)users for 2.5.69

From: Roland Dreier (roland@topspin.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 13:12:25 EST

    Richard> The kernel stack, at least for ix86, is only one, set
    Richard> upon startup at 8192 bytes above a label called
    Richard> init_task_unit. The kernel must have a separate stack
    Richard> and, contrary to what I've been reading on this list, it
    Richard> can't have more kernel stacks than CPUs and, I don't see
    Richard> a separate stack allocated for different CPUs.

This is total nonsense. Please don't confuse matters by spreading
misinformation like this. Every task has a separate (8K) kernel
stack. Look at the implementation of do_fork() and in particular
alloc_task_struct().

If there were only one kernel stack, what do you think would happen if
a process went to sleep in kernel code?

 - Roland