ABIT Motherboard 2.6 HHz Pentium 4 sucks with Red Hat9/Proff

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 07:01:19 EST

New machine. Linux-2.4.20-xx (RedHat). With Ultra SCSI, etc.
is about the speed of a 66 MHz `486. It took 18 hours to install
Red Hat and it hae not yet completed a backup to a Firewire drive
that I started yesterday at 7:30 (been 28 hours so far).

The startup dmesg is attached. There doesn't seem to be any way
to enable Hyper-Threading (as though that would do any good).
The machine us much faster when I mount a ext2 SCSI external
drive although I don't know if that makes it "normal". Basically
the I/O from ext3 seems to be the culprit.

Anybody with any ideas (yes send the board back... maybe).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).