Re: Latest GCC-3.3 is much quieter about sign/unsigned comparisons

From: Anders Karlsson (anders@trudheim.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 01:23:01 EST

Hello there, :-)

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 22:22, Art Haas wrote:
> Hi.
>
> This change ...
>
> 2003-05-02 Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
>
> PR c/10604
> * c-opts.c (c_common_decode_option <OPT_Wall>): Set
> warn_sign_compare for C++ only.
> * doc/invoke.texi: Clarify documentation of -Wsign-compare.
>
> ... has eliminated all the warnings that GCC-3.3 by default printed
> with regards to signed/unsigned comparisons. A build of today's BK
> with this compiler is much quieter than those previously done
> with the 3.3 snapshots.

Yes, it means the warnings are not printed, it doesn't mean the problem
has gone away though.

I'd still like for someone to tell me if there is a specific reason to
use signed numbers in for example inode.c in one of the filesystems
(can't remember which one of the top of my head). I for one would get
rather surprised if some of my data started getting stored with negative
inodes...

Regards,

/Anders