Re: Wanted: A decent assembler

From: Chuck Ebbert (76306.1226@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 08:02:08 EST

"Richard B. Johnson" wrote"

>> Output from 'make bzImage' after making some changes:
>>
>> Error: non-constant expression in ".if" statement.
>>

>> Why is the kernel using a 1-pass assembler?
>>

> Well it isn't. The AT&T clone assembler will resolve forward
> references and it does it by using as many passes as necessary.
> It even has a 'reasonable' MACRO capability. I use it quite a
> bit to minimize the code-size or to maximize performance in
> embedded systems.

  This is from the info for GNU as:

   "The result of an expression must be an absolute number, or else an
offset into a particular section. If an expression is not absolute,
and there is not enough information when `as' sees the expression to
know its section, a second pass over the source program might be
necessary to interpret the expression--but the second pass is currently
not implemented. `as' aborts with an error message in this situation."

> Your error shown above is a real error. If you expose the code
> that it barfed on, maybe somebody could help you fix the code.

if NR_IRQS gt 16 # only build this for IO-APIC
        .align 8,0x90 # make ENTRY have exact address
irq_align=8 # start with 8-byte alignment
ENTRY(high_irq_entries_start)
rept NR_IRQS-16 # the rest of the stubs
        .align irq_align,0x90
1: pushl $vector-256 # 5-byte instruction
        jmp common_interrupt # 2 or 5 bytes (8 or 32-bit offset)
2:
if 2b-1b > 8 # <============================= ERROR
        irq_align=16 # switch to 16-byte alignment
endif
data
        .long 1b
text