IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interrupt load

From: joe briggs (jbriggs@briggsmedia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 13:45:14 EST

I am seeking comments or suggestions to this problem:

I create multi-channel digital surveillance systems using cards with 4 or more
multiplexed bt878 framegrabbers; each one capturing 5 or more frames per
second on each of its two input channels (total 4 * 2 * 5 = 40 fps).
Typically I run using either a Promise or Adaptec HPT370 IDE-RAID controller
with 2 WD-120GB/8MB-cache drives striped in RAID-0, with another IDE as hda
for my system drive. What happens is that every few seconds I get a "BTTV:
RISC ERROR - resetting" from the frame grabber driver. After a few days of
this I have corruption on my Reiser file system; which usually I am able to
clean up with mkreiserfs --fix-fixable or --rebuild-tree. The corruption is
both on my RAID and my system drive. Missing doing this maintenance action
can really ruin my day.

I am today replacing the IDE RAID with a 3WARE IDE-RAID that emulates SCSI on
the premise that the problem has to do with hardware bus arbitration. But as
of yet I don't have any data to support that or show improvement.

All comments/suggestions/etc. appreciated.

Joe

--
Joe Briggs
Briggs Media Systems