Re: objrmap and vmtruncate

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 10:55:00 EST

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> I have to apologize for my misstatements of the problem here. You
> yourself pointed out to me the hold time was, in fact, linear. Despite
> the linearity of the algorithm, the failure mode persists. I've
> postponed further investigation until later, when more invasive
> techniques are admissible; /proc/ alone will not suffice if linear
> algorithms under tasklist_lock can trigger this failure mode.

well, i have myself reproduced 30+ secs worth of pid-alloc related lockups
on my box, so it's was definitely not a fata morgana, and the
pid-allocation code was definitely quadratic near the PID-space saturation
point.

There might be something else still biting your system, i'd really be
interested in hearing more about it. What workload are you using to
trigger it?

        Ingo