Re: Linux 2.5.67-ac2: ide reset issue

From: Alan Cox (alan@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 06:46:24 EST

> I don't know if there's enough reason to change reset semantics
> now to wait for completion, so that the next call be free of race.
> and I once had a simpler fix to let it delay another 50ms, that works
> on my box but seems not a thorough one. does it help?

BWGROUP(drive)->busy should never reach zero until the reset is
done. The 50mS miught be enough that this occurs, as might waiting
for HWGROUP(drive)->busy hitting 0. I don't yet understand why it
matters, and to fix it properly I have to figure that out.

If you need reliable reset for something like a test harness, or
IDE drive tester its a usable workaround, but I need to fix it
properly (eventually)

> + /* wait for another 50ms */
> + mdelay(50);

In your test set is HWGROUP(drive)->busy always zero after the
mdelay ?