Re: Help with virus/hackers

From: Christopher Curtis (ccurtis@aet-usa.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 12:17:39 EST

John Bradford wrote:

> I've often wondered whether it would be worth connecting a very large
> serial EEPROM to a serial port interface, and have it effectively
> appear as a solid state printer, (to that you could cheaply log to an
> unmodifyable device). Has anybody ever tried this?

I suspect there are better solutions; namely another host running
something like passlogd with the xmit wires cut and the hosts sending
udp broadcast messages (or plug it into the monitor port of the switch).
  Also, since the poster was running Woody, apt-cron'ing security might
also lend itself to usefulness, along with apt-listchanges and maybe a
little expect script.

rgds,
Chris