RE: firmware separation filesystem (fwfs)

From: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky (inaky.perez-gonzalez@intel.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 23:07:30 EST

> From: Manuel Estrada Sainz [mailto:ranty@debian.org]
>
> > With the risk of repeating myself (again) and being a PITA,
> > I really think it'd be easier to copy the firmware file to a
> > /sysfs binary file registered by the device driver during
> > initialization; then the driver can wait for the file to be
> > written with a valid firmware before finishing the init
> > sequence. The infrastructure is already there (or isn't ...
> > is it?).
>
> I don't know that much about sysfs, after a little investigation, it
> seams like sysfs entries are restricted in size to PAGE_SIZE, which on
> i386 is 4K, and ezusb firmware is already 6.9K in size.

You are right, at least that in 2.5.66 (the only tree I have handy now),
it is still limited to PAGE_SIZE; however, there were some
changes recently to the bin file interface, so it might have
been removed.

But this thing (firmware uploading) seems like a good reason
to remove that limit.

If you [or somebody else :)] did the necessary modifications
to fs/sysfs/bin.c and submit them to Patrick Mochel, with
the reasoning on why and usage, I'd say he would mostly
accept them - it does not seem to be too hard.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)