Re: [patch] printk subsystems

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 13:42:59 EST

> Would the debug level be for the entire subsystem? Do you think people would
> like to be able to set debug/logging level per driver or device, and not just
> subsystem?

I can see a use for doing per-object debug levels, but I'd rather not add
the overhead to every object, especially when it would be used by a small
minority of the populace.

Such a flag could easily be placed in the subsystem-specific object, and
accessed through the logging/debugging wrappers.

> Is debugging level here the same as logging level?

Yes.

> I like the idea of having logging levels, which include debug, defined by
> subsystem. Each subsystem will have separate requirements for logging.
> Networking, for instance, already has the NETIF_MSG* levels defined in
> netdevice.h that can be set with Ethtool. I can see, for example, having the
> msg_enable not in the private data as it is now but in the subsystem or class
> structure for that device, such as in struct net_device. This could easily be
> exported through sysfs.

It would be nice. Unfortunately, it's only a nifty pipe-dream at the
moment, unless some lucky volunteer would like to step forward. ;)

        -pat