Re: Booting from Qlogic qla2300 fibre channel card

From: Jurjen Oskam (jurjen@quadpro.stupendous.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 04:48:36 EST

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:56:16PM +1000, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> in general, all OSes get rather upset if disks disappear under
> them. particularly if those disks contain swap -- exactly how is the
> machine meant to recover from that?

Of course, if cables are pulled out or something like that, I'm not expecting
the OS to recover from that. :-)

I'm not trying to recover from or survive physical configuration changes.
I'm more interested in what happens when a volume generates a temporary
error, such as the ones that sometimes occur when doing logical
configuration changes (BIN-file changes on Symmetrix, for example).

> >When making an online configuration change on the Symmetrix (such as
> >remapping volumes), it is possible for the attached hosts to experience
> >a temporary error while accessing a storage array volume. For example,
> are you sure this tech note will still apply with the DMX?

I'm not sure, but that doesn't apply to us anyway since we have a 8530.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the SCSI_TIMEOUT value. Thanks for your
suggestions.

--
Jurjen Oskam