Re: [RFC] /sbin/hotplug multiplexor - take 2

From: David Brownell (david-b@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 14:19:51 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> Ok, based on the comments so far, how about this proposed version of
> /sbin/hotplug to provide a multiplexor?

It'd be a reduction in functionality. I could no longer just
type "/sbin/hotplug" to see what agents disabled or missing ...
or notice that since hotplugging was on, the problem had to be
RH9 storing /bin/true into /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug again! :P

If the idea is just to loosen today's "one agent per event"
rule (I've had that idea too), then wouldn't it be simpler to
just (a1) pay an extra process context, not using "exec" to run
/etc/hotplug/$1.agent, and when it returns (a2) THEN try other
programs? Or even (b) just modify appropriate agent scripts
to do so, instead of /sbin/hotplug?

I'd think better about this problem if I had a handful of
examples showing why category-specific or event-specific
dispatch wouldn't be preferable.

- Dave