Quick way to get preprocessor output???

From: Timothy Miller (miller@techsource.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 10:17:02 EST

This is in regard to the kernel message compression I'm working on.

I'm starting work on the code parser for the kernel, and I find that a
lot of the printk format strings have macros in them. Is there a quick
and easy way to get preprocessor (.i) output from all kernel source files?

I'm sure I won't understand enough to hack all Makefiles, but in case I
have to, what would be the best way of going about it? I know about
using -E, but I don't want to take an excessive amount of time on this.

Of course, to actually implement the text compression, all Makefiles
will have to change anyhow to pipe preprocessor output through a program
whose output is then run through the compiler.