Re: [patch] printk subsystems

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 13:33:54 EST

> I don't like the #define DEBUG approach. It's useless for users; it's a
> developer debug tool. It won't allow some support staff to ask users to
> enable module debugging (or subsystem debugging) and see what gets printed.

Agreed. Having a runtime-tweakable field would be very handy, and
something that's been requested many times over.

> Martin, you are ahead of my schedule, but I was planning to use sysfs
> to add a 'debug' flag/file that could be dynamically altered on a per-module
> basis.

Something I've pondered in the past is a per-subsystem (as in struct
subsystem) debug field and log buffer. When the subsystem is registered, a
sysfs 'debug' file is created, from which the user can set the noisiness
level.

>From there, each subsystem can specify the size of a log buffer, which
would be allocated also when the subsystem is registered. Messages from
the subsystem, and kobjects belonging to it, would be copied into the
local log buffer.

Wrapper functions can be created, similar to the dev_* functions, which
take a kobject as the first parameter. From this, the subsystem and log
buffer, can be derived (or rather, passed to a lower-level helper).

This all falls under the 'gee-whiz-this-might-be-neat' category, and may
inherently suck; I haven't tried it. Doing the core code is < 1 day's
work, though there would be nothing that actually used it..

        -pat