Re: top stack (l)users for 2.5.67

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@clusterfs.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 14:18:52 EST

On Apr 14, 2003 21:05 +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Mon, 14 April 2003 19:25:53 +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 07:46:45PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:
> > > +/* FIXME: should the below go into some header file? */
> > > +#define PRESTO_COPY_KML_TAIL_BUFSIZE 4096
> > > struct file * presto_copy_kml_tail(struct presto_file_set *fset,
> > > unsigned long int start)
> > > {
> >
> > so, presto_copy_kml_tail() is only called from
> > presto_finish_kml_truncate(), which doesn't seem to be called
> > from anywhere. What am I missing here? Or can this whole lot
> > just be nuked ?
>
> No idea. I'm just trying to get the kernel into a state where the
> kernel stack can be reduced to 4k relatively safely.
> As far as intermezzo is concerned, I've never even heard of someone
> using it and care accordingly.
>
> > If not, this patch introduces a problem. You're now
> > calling a sleeping function (kmalloc) whilst holding
> > a lock according to the comment above presto_finish_kml_truncate()
>
> Ack. Would it be ok to malloc with GFP_ATOMIC then, or would you
> propose something different?

I've CC'd the InterMezzo mailing list (which is where the maintainers of
this code live). Could someone please post a copy of the original patch
to the intermezzo-devel@lists.sourceforge.net mailing list?

Actually, my recollection is that there was previously a patch posted
for fixing this large stack usage the last time this came up.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger