Re: Oops: ptrace fix buggy

From: Jörn Engel (joern@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 09:47:09 EST

On Mon, 14 April 2003 16:31:08 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 15:46, Jörn Engel wrote:
>
> > Privately, I have introduced a variable FIXLEVEL for this. The
> > resulting kernel version is 2.4.20.2 instead of 2.4.20-uv2, which imo
> > is more suiting for a fixed stable kernel.
>
> This is not a good idea ... especially if its a box that you
> compile a lot of software on. Reason is that everything expects
> it to be MAJ.MIN.MIC ... If you add now another version, then
> things start to break. A good example is mozilla ...

That doesn't convince me (yet?). Why doesn't 2.4.20-pre5-ac3 break
mozilla, but 2.4.20.1 does? If mozilla depends on this information, it
should at least have a robust parser for it.

Can you give me a little more details on this? Did anyone ever declare
that userspace can expect kernel versions to fit this regex?

Jörn

--
More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without
necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including