Re: Lack of documentation (Was: Re: kernel support for non-English user messages)

From: Ken Moffat (ken@kenmoffat.uklinux.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 06:36:14 EST

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, John Bradford wrote:

> > > If I could *write* the documentation, I wouldn't need it,
> > > now would I? Maybe that's the problem...
>
> > If nobody would write the docs, nobody would read them ;)
>
> Compare:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hacking-guide/hhg.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/users-guide/using_gnuhurd.html
>
> with /Documentation
>
> I think we can do better. I have made several offers to compile
> documentation that is forwarded to me in to a more user-friendly
> format, but few people seem interested.
>
> John.

 John, the problem is that documentation either lives within the code,
where it has a small chance of being kept up to date, or it lives
separately and hasn't a cat in hell's chance of staying accurate. Add
in Linus's apparent lack of interest in documentation, and creating an
extra file is just a waste of time, which is a pity.

 I like the idea of better documentation, but I don't think we've
started to address the 'what' and 'who-for' questions yet.

(and if anybody wants to respond to me, don't expect prompt answers,
I'll be away from tomorrow until Thursday :)

Ken