Re: Benefits from computing physical IDE disk geometry?

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@clusterfs.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 18:38:10 EST

On Apr 13, 2003 18:13 -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> > Object Based Storage (see Lustre).
>
> Thanks, I was trying to remember where I'd seen that.
>
> Is anyone actually making such things for sale?

Yes, there is a 3rd party vendor which has already sold a bunch of
Object Storage Targets (OSTs) to LLNL for the MCR cluster, see:

        http://www.top500.org/top5/2002/11/five/
        http://www.llnl.gov/linux/mcr/
        http://www.bluearc.com/news/press_releases/pr_mcr_121102.shtml

These are not the "OST-on-a-disk" paradigm that we first worked on with
Seagate, but rather large NAS/NFS storage servers that also implement
the Lustre network protocol. We are also working with other vendors to
implement Linux-based OST targets (I'm not sure whether I can reveal names
or not) for even larger clusters.

Maybe if Lustre becomes popular enough, we will see Lustre implemented on
single disks. There is an object-based storage group with the SCSI T10
committee, but so far their protocol is mostly unusable for Lustre.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger