Re: Preempt on PowerPC/SMP appears to leak memory

From: David Brown (dave@codewhore.org)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 17:02:09 EST

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 05:57:24PM -0400, Robert Love wrote:
| On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 11:29, David Brown wrote:
|
| > I recently applied the preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.21-pre1-1.patch from
| > kernel.org to BenH's stable tree from rsync.penguinppc.org.
|
| Oh, one other thing. An updated patch for 2.4.20 is up:
|
| http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel/v2.4/preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.20-2.patch
|
| It has a couple fixes for proper protection of per-CPU data, including
| some PPC-specific ones.
|
| Robert Love

Hi Robert:

Thanks for the reply and the patch. I'll give the 2.4.20-2 patch a shot.
If I'm still seeing the leak after applying it, I'll do my best to track
it down (I already know it's somewhere in the fork() path, just based on
the mean-time-before-death of a few test scripts I was playing with).

I probably won't be able to isolate it down to a single line; I should,
however, be able to capture enough information so that someone with far
more awareness of the kernel's guts than I can track it down. :)

Thanks again,

- Dave