Re: USB Mass Storage Device

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 18:25:04 EST

Jim Bean wrote:
> The following USB Mass Storage device is found during bootup:
>
> scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB
> Mass Storage devices
> Vendor: SOYO Model: USB Storage-SMC Rev: 0214
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>
> Is it a CompactFlash reader that plugs directly into a USB1 header
> on my motherboard.

> /sys/bus/scsi/devices/0:0:0:0/* contains information regarding
> the device, however there is nothing
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0 for me to mount, regardless
> of whether there is a card in the drive or not. I have
> hotplug enables, and inserting a card in the drive does not
> generate any new messages under dmesg (although verbosity
> stuff is not enabled). Is this device not yet supported,
> or am I missing something that I need to enable?

Jim,
Have a look in /var/log/messages for errors coming from the
sd driver (e.g. it could be stuck on a READ CAPACITY or MODE
SENSE command). Other than that it could be a problem with
devfs. You could make a temporary device node (e.g.
'cd /root; mknod my_sda b 8 0') then try fdisk on my_sda.

Doug Gilbert