Re: 2.5.66: slow to friggin slow journal recover

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 00:13:40 EST

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:01:58PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> CaT <cat@zip.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Do you still want the alt-sysrq-m stuff? And is there anything else I
> > can do? profiling? apply a patch with debugging stuff that'd give you a
> > clue? etc...
>
> Can't think of a lot really.

doh.

> Are you sure that fsck is only running journal recovery? Is it possible that
> it is performing a full fsck for some reason?

It's still in the journal stage. 2 reasons lead me to believe this:

1. if I hit ^c then mount does the journal recovery (and does it
   quick-smart - the hd light is on full-force during this)
2. the progress bar that comes up during a full fsck is not displayed.

> Make sure you're running current e2fsprogs?

I've compiled 1.32+1.33-WIP-2003.03.30 (debian e2fsprogs from sid). I'll
install that now.

> Boot with `init=/bin/sh', run fsck by hand in the background, poke around
> with `ps' to see what it's up to, etc.

I'll try to remember to do this when my laptop loses power again (it
happens often - power connector is wonky). Don't wanna do it right now
cos I have the connector in just the right spot so that the laptop is
actually getting power.

--
Martin's distress was in contrast to the bitter satisfaction of some
of his fellow marines as they surveyed the scene. "The Iraqis are sick