Re: threads leave zombies when they terminate

From: Tim Connors (tconnors@astro.swin.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 20:19:39 EST

CC'd to linux-kernel, so as to get comments on my last paragraph.

I can confirm noflushd as being the cause of the problem, as per

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=noflushd+ext3+zombies&hl=en&lr=lang_da|lang_nl|lang_en|lang_fr|lang_de|lang_el|lang_iw|lang_it|lang_ru|lang_tr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=20030328204021%242645%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=1

I am also wondering whether it only applies to systems with an ext3
partition? I say this because I don't recall the bug appearing before I
upgraded, although I possibly did install ext3 at the same time as
noflushd - upgrades all seem to happen at once :)

What I think (random stab in the dark), is the killing of a kernel thread
- kupdate[d] is the problem. Just how safe is it to kill -STOP a kernel
thread? Could this be causing all -lpthreaded apps to leave zombies
behind?

A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found the conditions that make it fail. -- Jerry Ogdin