linux kernel IDE development process question

From: Jeremy Jackson (jerj@coplanar.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 11:28:28 EST

Hello IDE people,

I'd like to get input from everyone involved in drivers/ide/ on the
current development process.

I would like to know what code is kept in sync between 2.4/2.5
(2.2/2.0?). This way I can start by understanding what is already being
done. This is related to the recent "hdparm and removable IDE?" thread
on LKML.

I would like to start by declaring ide_hwifs[] static, and removing the
extern ide_hwifs from ide.h. all references to ide_hwifs[] will be
converted to macros and/or access method functions, that return a
pointer to a particular ide_hwifs_t. for_each_hwif() and replacements
for whatever else is in use will be provided as well, initially just
doing the same thing that is done now, ie iterating through ide_hwifs[].

There's more to my plan, that's just to get the discussion going. I
will only address what can be easily merged into all currently supported
kernel trees, I just need to know what they are.

by creating a new file ide-kernel.[ch], and moving the ide_hwifs[] and
accessor functions to it, each kernel tree can implement it differently
without complicating backports for the common stuff. Initially the
changes will *not* alter any behaviour, just jockeying stuff into place
to make that painless when the time comes. (think about it: if the
access methods return pointers, who's going to notice when ide_hwifs[]
is replaced with a linked list?)

My motivation: I'd *really* like to be able to sell entry level PC
servers with hotswap raid1. I'm not in a hurry, baby steps are ok, I
just want to get the ball rolling. It's all negotiable. I'm no expert
here.

Regards,

Jeremy

--