Re: CRC errors decompressing kernel on boot

From: Pedro Soria Rodriguez (psoria@hispafuentes.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 05:15:41 EST

I ended up finding a solution to my problem myself, so I will post it
here for the record.
First, a summary of the problem I had with kernel 2.4.20-ac2 and
2.4.21-pre5-ac2 and Lilo 22.4:

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 16:05, Pedro Soria Rodriguez wrote:
> I am getting a CRC error when the kernel is being decompressed after
> if I type on the keyboard while the kernel is loaded (before being
> decompressed).
> It happens on a certain machine,
> with USB keyboard, and not with a PS2 keyboard.
> It does not happen on other machines with USB or PS2 keyboards.

The problem turned out to be a combination of LILO and an apparently
buggy BIOS.

I switched from using LILO to using GRUB as a boot loader, and the
problem went away. I found that loading a kernel with SYSLINUX (from
CDROM), LoadLin (from DOS), PXE (over the net) all works fine. It is
only when loading it with LILO when the CRC error appears. I read
somewhere on the net that the problem may be related to a buggy BIOS in
the machine.

The problem was the USB keyb + buggy BIOS + LILO + large kernel
(apparently this does not happen on small kernels, as I read somewhere
else on the net).

cheers,

--
Pedro Soria-Rodríguez