Adaptect 2940u2 w/ 2.4.20 or 2.5.59

From: Anthony R. Mattke (tonhe@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 20:15:57 EST

I have a current linux desktop curring 2.4.19 that has been running fine
for ever. Altho, when I atempted to do an update to 2.4.20, I was rather
surprised to see that my machine kernel panics on boot, just as it would
normally init the scsi bus.

The machine in question is an x86 SMP system (p3) with an adaptect
2940u2 card.. it also has another scsi controller on the mobo that is
disabled in bios. it is a 2940uw.

Is there any reason why the newer kernel has a problem with this card ?
I have tried both adaptect drivers for this card.. the new one that
started shipping in .20 and the olderone..

Has anyone else seen this problem? Its a current show stopper, I need to
reinstall my desktop, but the newer version of slackware ships with
2.4.20.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks..

--