Re: Testing: What do you want?

From: Jörn Engel (joern@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 19:16:27 EST

On Mon, 24 March 2003 15:06:26 -0800, Craig Thomas wrote:

> OSDL has a set of stress tests that are run on new kernels as they
> become available. However, the architectures tested are limited
> (compared with the variety that can be found in the world). There
> are enough testers in the community to collectively test for
> correctness of the kernel. Test suites such as LTP and LSB help
> in this regard.
>
> On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 09:01, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > One of the best things people can do is just use it. OSDL and others run
> > stress tests but often its users configurations that find bugs not
> > stress and coverage runs.

And another thing I have found to be good at finding bugs is a sick
mind. If you intend to crash a system and do just about anything a
normal user wouldn't, you will stress all the code paths that are
usually not tested.

Jörn

--
To recognize individual spam features you have to try to get into the
mind of the spammer, and frankly I want to spend as little time inside